Saturday, November 15, 2014

My 5 basic makeup

In efforts of turning this blog into a beauty blog, i shall first start with the basics.

One thing i learn about makeup, is getting the basics down first is always a good starting point, the best step actually.

Now to add a little DISCLAIMER: the recommendations made in this post are my personal opinions (from trial and error, and things I picked up along the way). Feel free to disagree, agree, like, dislike, learn, ignore. These are just my thoughts on what is the basic 5 makeup and its tools are for beginners to start with.

As mentioned above, this are my recommendations on the first 5 basic makeup & tools to start of your makeup collection with:

  1. Having a good base: Foundation / Concealer
    As with art, starting with a fresh clean canvas is always the best. This is the same when it comes to makeup. Good skin is always a plus when it comes to makeup – less to conceal, makeup glides on smoothly. Care for your skin, and you might just be able to skip this step: making sure your skin looks flawless.
    Find your perfect foundation (liquid, powder, cream, stick, tinted moisturizer, BB cream, CC cream), then find your favourite tool to apply it (hands, brush, sponge). Some may only need dabs of concealer, some (like me) need the whole she-bang (CC Cream + Foundation + Concealer for spots and under the eye), and of course some have naturally flawless skin which needs nothing but maintenance (grr..jealous!).
    My choice: Origins CC Cream + Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick with Bobbi Brown full coverage brush.
    NOTE: do not forget your SPF/sunblock/sunscreen, and conceal that dark circle.
  2. Define that eye: Eyeliner
    I actually started my collection with one dark brown eyeliner. I still remember, it was from The Body Shop. You will be surprised by how much eyeliner can do for you – to change your look in an instant. In fact, i practically started my makeup collection with eyeliners.
    My choice: L’oreal Super Liner Intense, Black Laquer (liquid liner); Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Eyeliner, Chocolate Truffle (pencil, cream)
  3. Don’t forget your lashes: Mascara (+ eyelash curler)
    With eyeliner, you do not want to forget your lashes. Especially with a thick liner on, you lashes would be drown by it. So coat that mascara on. Mascara really helps to open the eyes (even without eyeliner).
    My choice: Bobbi Brown Smokey Eye Mascara, Black; Maybelline The Falsies Volume Express Mascara, black
  4. A healthy glow: Cheeks & Lips!
    My favourite product ever in the cheek and lip category is a red cheek & lip stain! i love it. It helps create that natural glow to your cheeks and a natural rosy lip colour. Easy to use, and the outcome: natural but fresh, glow-y and healthy looking skin.
    My choice: The Body Show Cheek & Lip Stain, red; Benefit, Benetint
  5. A pop of colour: A Bright / Bold lip.
    All that i have mentioned about above are very basic makeup (which you might/might not already know), but one trick to make it look like you spent hours on your makeup is by throwing on a bold/bright lip. Find your favourite bold/bright lip that works for you, that you are comfortable to wear. A bold lip can help you take a basic day look, to a night look; from a simple look, to looking like you spent hours. And it is the easiest makeup to wear, and change up.
    My choice: Bobbi Brown Lip Colour, Burnt Red; Bobbi Brown Lip Colour, Cosmic Lily; Estee Lauder Signature lipstick, Spanish Red

I recommend starting with these first as they are no fuss, basic products that you need to create one look. It is good to start simple and learn the basic, that way you wont be overwhelmed by the many different and other products out there.

I started my collection with these 5 types of products, in fact i can still remember them that i can name them out (in this order but this happen over the span of a few years):

  1. The Body Shop Eyeliner in Dark Brown – from here my collection grew to other coloured eyeliners. Eyeliners was/IS my thing and my most important makeup. I have TONS.
  2. The Body Shop Tea Tree Concealer – this was when my pimples started to pop out, and well i wanted to conceal and treat it. This then went on to me buying concealers from the drug stores, before my mum stepped in and introduced me to foundation. My first foundation was Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Even Finish Compact Foundation in Natural (2008).
  3. The Body Shop Cheek & Lip Stain (the red one) – my love for cheek and lip stain grew from here. Actually i still use the cheek & lip stain, if i recall right, i have used up about 4 tubes now.
  4. L’oreal Double Extension Mascara, black – mascara naturally came into the picture after my obsession with eyeliner grew. I left that my lashes looks so dull in comparison, and that is how i picked up the mascara.
  5. NYX Round Lipstick (i don’t recall the colour) – being a teenager at that time, i was more inclined to lipgloss. But it did nothing for me but add gloss or sparkles or both. And it made my lips sticky. I quickly grew out of it. When i slowly experimented with lipstick, i found my love for them. My first lipstick was not a bold colour, but a nude (one of those my-lips-but-better colour). Not too long after that, i found what a bold lip can do, it was just the matter of having the guts. And now, i love it! And constantly recommend people to find their bold lip.

Haha..i just realized my first 3 are from The Body Shop after this post. I guess, it was because in my teenage year, Body Shop was big (and it just opened), and it is affordable.

image

Do let me know what are your top 5 makeup that are your must-have!

No comments:

Post a Comment